ARI Day Camp Counselor
Spend the summer with ARI learning about archaeology and working with the public!
What is the ARI Day Camp Counselor position?
Camp Counselor positions are three-month, paid, positions for motivated students seeking additional experience in the fields of anthropology, archaeology, education, and working with the public. ARI hosts a variety of week-long day camps for students’ grades kindergarten through 12th grade and adults. Each camp covers a variety of topics related to archaeology including excavation, lab work, interpretation of artifacts, cultural lessons, and experimental archaeology. The Counselor position would oversee implementing the programming while gaining experience in the fields of anthropology, archaeology, and education.
Position Title: Day Camp Counselor
Position Description: The purpose of this position is to bring the mission of ARI to life for K-12 students through archaeological research and education. The Counselor would be responsible for providing an immediate face for customer service to campers and their families. This role would implement all day camp activities, including supervision of field and lab work, and monitor camp programs to ensure safety and engagement of all campers. The Counselor will be responsible for maintaining all equipment and supplies, communicating with ARI staff to ensure all necessary equipment and supplies are available. This position will report directly to the Director of Programming to communicate areas of concern, incidents that require follow-up, ideas to improve programming, and requesting all materials and supplies.
What are the Learning Outcomes of this experience?
By the end of the summer, the Day Camp Counselor will be able to:
- Engage the public through educational activities
- Explain the basic process of field excavation and lab work
- Maintain accurate records of camp activities
- Communicate with stakeholders about the activities and events of the week
What is the position length?
- 3 Months
Timeframe of Position:
May 2nd – August 5th, 2023
Who should apply?
The Day Camp Counselor position is ideal for 1st year college students looking to explore the fields of education, archaeology and/or anthropology. Individuals who enjoy working with youth and members of the public.
What are the Requirements?
- At least 18 years of age
- CPR and First Aid certifications required before the start of camp
- Strong communication skills
- Two letters of recommendation from non-family members
- Be available to work Tuesday-Saturday, 9am-4:30pm
- Be able to occasionally lift and/or move up to 30lbs
- Be able to work in adverse weather conditions
- Be able to walk briskly and over uneven terrain
- Be able to stoop, kneel, reach, crouch, or crawl to perform essential job duties
- Be able to sit or stand for a prolonged period
*Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform their essential duties
- $12-$15 per hour depending on experience
- Other Benefits:
- Networking Opportunities
- Professional Development and Training