Youth Archaeology Internship Program
Position Title: Youth Archaeology Intern (Ages 16-19)
Reports to: Senior Archaeologist
Position Summary: The Youth Archaeology Intern is an introductory position designed to provide high-school aged students with a foundation in archaeology. This internship will focus on archaeology, lab work, and public interaction/education in Lawrenceburg, Indiana. Interns will work closely with ARI staff, receiving an interactive learning experience and on-the-job training.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Interns will be given training and experience in the following areas, and expected to perform the following tasks:
- Read assigned readings and respond to questions
- Participate in lessons and reading discussions
- Lab Work
- Cleaning and sorting artifacts
- Documentation of materials
- Data entry
- Maintain a comprehensive notebook
- Material analysis
- Technical write-up
- Public interaction/education
- Explain basic archaeological concepts
- Identify and discuss archaeological materials
- Discuss site history
- Discuss local prehistory
Education, knowledge, and abilities of a strong applicant: The ARI Internship is open to a variety of experience and education levels, but a strong applicant should have some of the following skill sets:
- Prior experience with archaeological materials or survey (ranging from a formal field school to field walking with a relative)
- Strong communication and teamwork skills
- Attention to detail, ability to perform technical work, record data legibly and accurately
Physical Demands: Archaeological lab work does require moderate physical labor including:
- Be able to occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 lbs
- Be able to regularly lift and/or move up to 30 lbs
- Be able to sit for a prolonged period of time
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
Age Requirements: 16 years old minimum age.
Dress Code: As this is a public facing position, refrain from wearing revealing clothing, or clothing with inappropriate phrases/logos on them. An ARI shirt will be provided for all interns. Clothing will go through moderate wear in the course of this internship, so do not wear clothing you would be upset if it were stained/torn. Additionally, lab work requires light physical labor, working with soils, and archaeological field work consists of physical labor, exposure to excessive sunlight, and working in the dirt. Please wear close-toed shoes.