The internship entails a commitment of 10-15 hours per week, with a flexible schedule within the organization’s operational hours (9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday to Saturday). Occasional evening and weekend work may be necessary for events.
The internship is situated in Lawrenceburg, Indiana, with occasional travel to locations within the tri-state area.
Director of Public Archaeology and Archaeology Coordinator.
The Public Archaeology Internship offers an entry-level opportunity to gain valuable experience in the field of archaeology. This includes engaging in public interaction and education at the lab in Lawrenceburg, Indiana. Interns will closely collaborate with ARI staff, providing an interactive learning experience and on-the-job training.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Interns will receive training and hands-on experience in the following areas and will be expected to perform the following tasks:
- Public interaction/education:
- Conduct learning center tours.
- Lead guided site tours.
- Explain basic archaeological concepts.
- Discuss site history.
- Discuss local prehistory.
- Laboratory work:
- Clean, identify, and sort artifacts.
- Inventory and catalogue artifacts.
- Interpret artifacts.
- Understand survey, unit, and feature contexts.
- Complete excavation forms.
- Map and record excavations.
Education, knowledge, and abilities of a strong applicant: The ARI Internship welcomes applicants with various levels of experience and education, but a strong candidate should possess some of the following skills:
- Undergraduate or graduate coursework in archaeology, anthropology, or related fields.
- For those not enrolled in a college anthropology/archaeology course, prior experience with archaeological materials or plans to enroll in an archaeology/anthropology program.
- Strong communication and teamwork skills.
- Attention to detail, ability to perform technical work, and accurately record data.
- Enthusiasm and a keen interest in local history and archaeology.
Physical Demands: Archaeological field work involves physical labor, requiring a certain level of fitness, including (but not limited to) working in all weather conditions, stooping, kneeling, crouching, working at a computer station, and walking on uneven terrain.
*Reasonable accommodations can be arranged to enable individuals with disabilities to fulfill the essential duties. Please contact us to discuss any specific circumstances that need consideration.
Age Requirements: Minimum age requirement is 16 years old.